What is the difference you ask between Pilates Certification and Pilates Teacher Training? The Pilates Method Alliance states:
PMA RECCOMENDATIONS & THE PSC PROGRAM
Suggests the following when shopping for a Program:
The Italics will denote how PSC compares
Here is a list of questions to ask once you find a Pilates Teacher Training program that you are interested in:
- Does the program have more than one training program – if so what are they?
Yes, we have programs in multiple locations across the USA, Canada, Turkey, and Israel. PSC has modular or all-inclusive programs (Mat, Reformer, Cadillac and Chair) available.
- Who is the program director?
Dr. Andromeda Stevens, D.C. and Kelli Altounian
- Does the Program Director have 10 years of Pilates teaching experience?
Yes, The Directors have an extensive background including a Doctorate in Chiropractic and a BA in Dance and hold multiple Certifications in related fields. PSC has been producing quality instructors since 2000.
- Are there any other facilitators/ trainers who assist with the program?
Yes depending on the location there will be assistants and/or apprentice Master Trainers available.
- Have the facilitators/ trainers attended a Comprehensive Pilates Teacher Training course or are they PMA Certified Pilates Teachers? The Directors and Master
Trainers of PSC qualify as a YES both questions. We are all PMA Certified.
- Have the director and the facilitators had at least 7 years teaching experience or are they PMA Pilates Certified Teachers?
The Directors answer YES to both questions. The facilitators, depending on location will have a minimum of 5 years experience and have passed the PMA Exam.
- How long does it take to complete the program?
16 weeks for a full program plus self paced homework and required observation/practice hours.
- Are there any prerequisites to attend the program?
Yes, 30 hours of Pilates experience with a qualified Pilates Instructor – we can assist you at a discount
- Does the program have an entrance exam?
No, interview only. Unless entering with a partial completed Program – PSC will test you in to determine placement level.
- Does the program include movement science, observation, hands on mentoring and self-study?
Yes, comprehensive anatomy, fundamentals, terminology and Pilates Philosophy included in all courses as well as a high number of class hours and an apprentice program. All are included in our price.
- Is there a written and practical exam?
Yes, the exam is practical and written as well as a written Assessment Project and Anatomy Thesis Paper.
- Does the program provide a contract of the services?
Yes – comprehensive to protect the Student
- Minimum 450 hours required for completion of program. Yes
- Program hours should include: lecture/observation/personal Pilates practice or
lessons/workouts/supervised student teaching.
Yes – high classroom hours are vital. We offer 120 hours of actual class time
- *Program covers reformer/trap table/ped-o-pul/barrels/chair.
Yes (barrels and Ped-o-pull are separate workshop)
- Course participants should have prior Pilates experience or a course entrance requirement. Yes – this will make your experience more meaningful and fluid.
- *Written and practical test with passing scores required for completion.
Yes – as well as our assessment of students over-all performance.
- Are there any requirements for entry into the program? (Most comprehensive Pilates programs require prior Pilates exercise experience or an entrance exam as a pre-requisite for entry into the program.) Yes – previously discussed
- Does the training program offer instruction on all the pieces of exercise apparatus or just a specific piece?
Yes – Mat, Reformer, Cadillac, Chair and small apparatus. Our anatomy is included (and is NOT a separate course for an additional fee.)
- What is the time structure for the program? Does it meet weekly or weekends, monthly, etc.?
Bi-weekly for 4 hours per session for 16 weeks to best absorb the material and interfere minimally on lifestyle and ability to rest, as well as absorb the material.
- How long does it take to complete the program? (For example: Total structure of the program requirements in hours/months.)
Full Program is 16 weeks plus self paced study
- Are lecture observation, apprenticeship and practice hours involved? (Remember, a well-rounded program includes all of the above.)
Yes – no hidden charges or requirements
- Who is the program director, and what is his/her background and training?
Bios available on website http://www.PilatesSportsCenter.com
- Who are the program’s other facilitators, and what are their backgrounds? (The Pilates Method Alliance guidelines suggest facilitators of comprehensive training programs to have taught Pilates a minimum of 5 years prior to instructing instructors.)
Yes, see website for complete bios and pictures of all Master Trainers
- Can the program provide references with contacts of prior graduates of their program?
Yes, they are all very successful and have created a Global Network
- Does the program administer a practical and written exam prior to issuing a certificate? Yes – answered above