Scoliosis FactsTuesday, Mar. 8th, 2016
Idiopathic Scoliosis: (unknown cause)
Scoliosis most often occurs between ages 10-15.
It affects 7 girls for each boy.
What Medical Doctors Typically Recommend (watch and wait is a colossal mistake!)
- 0-10˚ – No scoliosis detected
- 10-25˚ – Regular observation – curves can get out of control quickly during a growth spurt – dont wait!
- 25-40˚ – Bracing – not all braces are equal!
- 50+˚ – Spinal fusion surgery
5-10% of diagnosed scoliosis cases will progress.
38,000 patients undergo spinal fusion surgery every year.
What is Spinal Fusion?
- The surgeon dissects layers of spinal muscles, ligaments and tendons, and the spine’s entire posterior joint system
- 3-inch screws and hooks are inserted on both sides of the spine
- Solid metal rods are run through the hooks on both sides of the spine along the length of the curve
Complications of Spinal Fusion Surgery
More than 50% of spinal fusion patients experience long-term complications during their life span.
Spinal fusion implants can:
- Pierce the spinal canal
- Compress nerve roots
More than 50% of treated patients experiences implant failure.
In one study:
- 21% of adolescent patients required implant removal
- 22% of patients required a total of 28 additional operations
- 5-10% of patients develop deep infections a year or more after surgery
- Some patients develop infections as many as 8 years later.
Loss of Motion
Surgical patients lose 20-60% of their ability to side flex.
Low Back Pain
20-33% of patients experience low back pain within 5-7 years.
Does Spinal Fusion Work?
An analysis of scoliosis surgery patients found that:
- 41% felt no reduction in their pain levels
- 33% lost all correction within 1-10 years
- 19% required more surgery within 2-8 years
- 26% were unhappy with the outcome
Alternatives to Scoliosis Surgery
Schroth Best Practice ® Scoliosis Programs
Work with Certified Schroth Therapists http://schrothbestpractice.com/usa/
Scoliosis Bracing – look nowhere else!
Cheneau braces are often considered the “Gold standard” for scoliosis bracing
3 dimensional bracing that addresses all curves: lateral, rotational and sagittal (front to back). This is the only way to go. Invented by the direct ancestor of Schroth, Dr. Hans R Weiss.
Bracing can be found at these locations for the BEST results possible along with Schroth exercise.
Encino / Los Angeles / Long Beach / Monrovia, CA: http://www.lascoliosisbrace.com/why_la.php
Boston, MASS and soon in Los Angeles, CA: http://www.drmoramarco.com/bracing-for-scoliosis/
Results and evidence?